How To Train Your Dragon Review

Yesterday, April 10, 2010, something changed in my life. Unexpectedly, I have an new all-time favorite movie. Yes, this movie trumps everything else I've seen before in my quarter century existence.

And like my other favorite movies, this caught was caught off guard. Before this, my all-time favorite was American Beauty. I just saw American Beauty on HBO one afternoon and fell in love with it. I saw the first Narnia movie on a bus and loved that one (and the series eventually) too. The difference with HTTYD is, I fell in love with this movie the most.



I knew that How To Train Your Dragon was a good movie. But I didn't know it was that good. I personally think its a LOT better than Avatar. This movie is the first one I've seen in the cinema after a long time since I don't really go the movies unless I think the movie is that good. Most of the time when I do decide to see a movie in theaters, it gives me my money's worth but How To Train Your Dragon exceeded my expectations.

The story is based on a 2003 children's book of the same title by Cressida Cowell. I like the it because it doesn't borrow concepts heavily from other movies, unlike a recent sci-fi hit with blue people that heavily borrows its concept from Pocahontas. HTTYD the movie has a perfectly balanced story that will appeal to kids and adults alike. It touches on several significant cocepts like determination, parenting, acceptance and love.

The graphics are amazing. You can really tell we are in a new generation of computer animation. Details are crisp and clear. For non-movie goers like me, it really makes the money worth it. Even if, say, the movie and story itself were not good, the graphics are still good enough to to give me my money's worth. Even I don't have an HD TV, I'm planning to get this on original home video as soon as it comes out. And I never do that.

Even notorious movie website Rotten Tomatoes gave it a stellar 98% rating. And Rotten Tomatoes are as harsh as they come. To give you an idea, among the current Top 10 movies in the box office, (including HTTYD) only three movies are given a "fresh" rating. And the second highest rating is 68% from the thriller Shutter Island. The number one movie Clash of the Titans has a disappointing 31% rating.

The lady at the box office made a mistake and gave us Clash of the Titans ticket instead of HTTYD when we bought our tickets. I almost considered seeing Clash instead. Am I glad I didn't!

The movie is so good for me, in fact, that I have decided that if the entire book series makes its way to the big screen, I'll watch them all.

1. How to Train Your Dragon (2003)
2. How to Be a Pirate (2004)
3. How to Speak Dragonese (2005)
4. How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (2006)
5. How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (2007)
6. A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (2008)
7. How to Ride a Dragon's Storm (2008)
8. How to Break a Dragon's Heart (2009)


But don't take my word for it, see the movie for yourself and experience what I'm talking about.