My Glasses and Me

How fast time flies. I just realized that I have been wearing my eyeglasses for more than half my life. I started wearing them when I was 12 years old. I am now 25. Of course, I did wear contacts for several months.

Since I don't really see them, I don't really notice my glasses that much. After my first pair that I wore since I was 12 up until I was 16, I had contacts. I was living away from home and I was just added work. Once, I wore my contacts for a full month. That's the longest period the optometrist said I can leave it on. I didn't want to take it out and put it back on, it was just too much work for me. I also had a total of two pairs of contacts. The weird thing is that I lost the my contact lens one piece at a time.

Then I went back to wearing glasses and I have been doing so ever since. With my history of carelessness, it's kind of ironic that I'm only on my fourth pair of glasses. Each pair lasted an average of three years. And I still have my first pair. I still use them when I go swimming. They were round ones that made me look like John Lennon especially when I had long hair back when I was a freshman in college. I don't change pairs if I can still use my current one.

That is with the exception of my current ones which are kind of like prescription sun glasses. I bought them when i was still using my previous pair. I just bought them because I can get them for free from my job. I got a cool pair wherein you can snap a pair of sunglasses on top via little magnets. They don't exactly complement the shape of my face and is not exactly flattering. But I still like them very much because for more than 10 years of my life, I could not wear sunglasses. It sucks during the summer.

It's just recently that I realized how much my glasses are a part of. It's how a lot of people identify me. It's the first thing I look for when I get up in the morning. I can't go out without it. Hell, I can't even get out of bed without it. I love them.