Justin Bieber

Gulat ka no? If you know me, or if you have a sense of who I am, you would never think that I'd write stuff about the Biebs. But it's been a while since I wrote about something that mattered enough for me to think about more than once so I gave this a go.

If you've been living under a rock, Justin Bieber is today's hottest young, male pop star. His video "Baby" has the most number of views on Youtube with over 533 million. And he's just 17 y/o btw.

Since he is more popular than the Pope, Justin Bieber or "The Biebs" also has tons of haters, what with his songs being overly simplistic (relatively) in terms of letters and music. His fans fight back saying Justin is talented and he can really sing, dance and play all those instruments.

I'd have to side with the "haters" with this one. (DUH!?) While Justin's amateur videos on Youtube show that he can, in fact, sing, dance and play instruments probably in an above average level; I think that he is nowhere near the level of a musical prodigy that he should be if you consider how famous he is right now. When millions upon millions of people around the world scream their lungs out for, pick fights to defend, are ready to shelf out tons of money for and practically worship a musician like they do Bieber, I expect to see some sort of Elvis-Beatles-Michael Jackson performance (which, BTW I don't think we'll see again in this lifetime or ever). Again, don't get me wrong, I acknowledge the fact that the kid has musical talent, but are his talents good enough to justify his popularity? I think not.

Then again, what do I know? Big name musicians can't get enough of him like Usher, Justin Timberlake and Ludacris. But I don't think it has anything to do with his "talent." You know why? Because Bieber is a big, motherfucking cash cow.

But still, let's say his talents really are that good. He should at least come up with some sensible singles. I mean, that song "Baby?!" Really? And that one with Sean Kingston with Eenie-meenie-mi-ni-moe-shit? C'mon. I know he's gotta go with what's popular and what will appeal to the masses because this is his job now. But if you are a real musician, there is should be a balance balance between being a "selling-out" and loving your craft. Hell, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if you are a real, hard core musician, you should never sell-out. Pump out the best shit that you can and if people don't like it, fuck them. It's your song, it's your music. Though honestly, that would be impractical and borderline stupid considering the behavior of today's music industry and audience. Hey, even the Beatles had a few novelty tunes you know.

If there is someone to credit for this huge marketing machine that also happens to make some sort of "music," it's the clever business people who saw the potential, grabbed it and worked on it. Bieber was at the right place at the right time - there were no prominent young male acts when he was starting to gain momentum. The Jonas Brothers were just about at the end of thei 15 seconds of fame. And Bieber had this "organic" marketing machine behind him via the cult following he had on Youtube.

On the flip side, I'd like to commend Bieber too. Not because he "worked hard" to achieve his status. I'm sure as hell that as soon as people saw his worth, they were ready to wipe his ass with their ties. I don't think he exactly "worked" to get on top. But now that he's up there, I commend him for being able to handle pressure and hardships of stardom. When all is said and done, he is just 17 y/o boy - it's the time to fuck around, experiment, explore and have fun. Though it doesn't hurt that millions of people worship you and will follow you to the ends of the Earth, it must be hard that the rest feels the exact opposite way with the same passion and enthusiasm. Did I mention his super-popular video "Baby" has more "dislikes" than "likes?"Biebs does have his breakouts but for most of the time, he keeps things in check.

(yes, I am semi-updated on news about him because every time he does something or something happens to him, it's on the front page of every goddamn "news" source and it's shared countless times on FB and Twitter)

Also, if he is a real musician at heart, it must be hard for him to keep singing those stupid-ass crazy songs. If there is a real artist inside him, it must be dying to get out.

And finally, one of the most popular "insults" thrown at him is him being gay. Well, if you look like a woman, sound like a woman and sing corny love songs, that's sort of expected. And no, I am not trying to hate on his looks or his voice but c'mon Bieber fans, admit it, he does look and sound like a woman. Maybe it'll change once his voice cracks and puberty kicks in, hopefully. And even if he is gay, there'd be no problem with that. Elton John is gay and Freddie Mercury was gay, but that didn't stop them from creating excellent music. If anything, being gay might have helped in these musicians' creative process, what with trying to deal with society's harsh treatment towards gay people. But I digress.

Justin Bieber

Again, Biebs, you don't have my vote. But who knows, maybe 5, 10 years from now, you'd write your own songs and they'd actually make sense. You may not attract hordes of pre-teen girls anymore, but hey, at least you'll make sense.

Update: I don't hate Justin Bieber. I'm not a hater. If people find him very entertaining, them good for them. Kanya-kanyang saltik lang yan. I'm just sharing my two cents on his popularity.