Thoughts On Marriage And Divorce

Just recently, the Philippines became the only country in the world with no divorce. Malta gave in and a divorce law or bill is in the works over there.

Where does this put us? This just shows how unhealthy the relationship between religion and state is in this country. Hell, divorce is even legal in Rome - right where the Vatican is! The CBCP can't be bigger than the Holy See can it?? But our local bishops are sure as hell more smug and arrogant.

Anyway, I'm not married so I can't put in a lot of words into marriage and divorce. Even though I've had my fair share of relationship trials, I am aware that marriage takes things into a whole new and different level.

However, I did pick up a few interesting thoughts around the Internet about marriage and divorce that are worth keeping. One (from Jim Paredes on Twitter) goes something like:

Divorce is like a fire extinguisher, its presence doesn't mean you want to use it. But it's good to have it there just in case.

And another: (I think this is from Word Of The Lourd):

Think: People study for around 15 years (add or subtract depending on how much you love schooling) to land a job that they will do 8 hours a day / 5 days a week and will retire from when they hit a certain age. BUT marriage seminars don't even last for a full eight hours. And marriages are supposed to be forever.

The way I see it, if the CBCP is so adamant on rejecting divorce then they should do something more than telling would-be couples that marriage is not like hot food that you will spit out if your mouth gets burned. While it remains to be true, merely telling that shit to engaged couples just doesn't work. They SHOULD have intense seminars and lectures on what to expect of the married life. They should discuss worst-case scenarios that can potentially happen 5, 10, 20 in a marriage. (hey my parents got separated after 20+ years of marriage so you never know when shit will happen, might as well be prepared)

My stand: divorce should be legal. Again, my wanting a fire extinguisher in my house doesn't imply that I want to burn my house down or that I want to play with matches near the curtains.