Thor Movie Review

I just recently saw Thor. Good movie. In fact, I think it's better than Captain America.

Thor is what it is - your typical superhero movie. But it excels at what it does. The story, though can be predictable, is still exciting enough to keep you watching until the very end. And you have your basic stuff - character backgrounds, plot, conflict and everything. Even if some supposedly major characters were not properly developed, the whole formula still works what with all the explosions, action scenes and comic book references and all. Thor delivers a fun and entertaining movie perfect for a lazy weekend.

This is not to say that the movie didn't have its flaws. There were a few things that didn't quite add up but realizing that this is your run-in-the-mill Marvel comics movie, I could let those things go. I can let everything pass except for one thing - the chemistry between Hemsworth and Portman (or more specifically, the lack of it.) Yes, they are both good looking Hollywood actors but there is just something about their partnership that didn't fall into place. (spoiler) Their whole kissing scene before Thor leaves for Asgard just felt totally awkward. (spoiler end)

And yes, I do think it's better than Captain America - The First Avenger. I'm not saying the Chris Evans movie is bad, I'm just saying I think Thor is better. Probably because Captain America promised just a little too much. But hey it is Captain America. And he is the First Avenger, after all.

Also, I think this is one of the few movies where I actually like the hero more than the antagonist. But still, props to the Frost Giants and Loki. Looking forward to seeing Thor and the rest of the Marvel guys stop Loki from bringing more mischief in the Avengers movie next year.

Loki
Loki - from the 2011 movie Thor