Using Xperia Mini Pro As A Modem With Sun Cellular (USB Tethering and Wifi Hotspot)

In the last few weeks, my Globe DSL connection has been less than stable. The connection would go out for several hours a day. This became a great opportunity for me to try using my Xperia Mini Pro as a modem.

First I tried to use the free Internet minutes that came with the Sun Cellular Unli 25. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. And it's really a great back-up in case your Internet connection goes down.

This guide is for Gingerbread.

Here's how to use your Xperia Mini Pro as a modem with Sun Cellular:

1. Make sure you have the latest Internet settings. For Sun Cellular, just text Activate to 2300 and follow the instructions.

2. Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names -> choose SUN INTERNET (minternet)

Xperia Mini Pro Access Point

3. Enable Data Traffic. Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks -> check on Data enabled.

Xperia Mini Pro Data Traffic

For convenience, I use a widget in the Home screen:

Xperia Mini Pro Data Traffic Widget


For USB Tethering -

Make sure that your phone is connected to your computer via a USB cable. Then go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Tethering & portable hotspot -> then check on USB tethering

You should see the blue USB Tethering icon on the Notification Bar:
Xperia Mini Pro USB Tethering Notification Icon

That's it. Just wait for a few seconds and surf the Internet as usual on your computer.

For Wifi Hotspot - Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Tethering & portable hotspot -> then check on Portable Wi-Fi hotspot

Configuring Wi-Fi hotspot settings. Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Tethering & portable hotspot -> Port. Wi-Fi hotspot settings -> Configure Wi-Fi hotspot

Xperia Mini Pro Wireless Hotspot Settings

You can set the Network Name and if you want to protect your Wi-Fi network. Note that you can only use WPA protection.

Xperia Mini Pro Wireless Hotspot Security Settings Xperia Mini Pro Wireless Hotspot Security Settings

Then go to your computer's Wi-Fi client and look for your phone's Wi-Fi network. Connect to it and surf the Internet as usual.

For faster surfing, choose WCDMA (pref.) / GSM as your network mode. Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks -> Network Mode.

Xperia Mini Pro Network Mode

In my experience, I was getting around 1Mbps speeds while inside my room with 3G. This is weird considering there are several "dead spots" in my room. But even so, when I do get a 3G signal, I get a pretty decent Internet connection. (This is a stark contrast with Globe wherein I get a stable signal but I don't get 3G inside my room!)

Internet surfing with Sun Cellular costs P10 / 30 minutes.
But you can use an Internet surfing plan for cheaper rates:

Sun Cellular Mobile Internet Rates

Go to the nearest retailer and load your preferred iLoad via XpressLoad. You may also text <choice of iLOAD> to 247 to convert your Regular Load to an iLoad.

That's all folks! Happy surfing!

PS - I use this widget to check for 3G signal. It's pretty nifty.

PPS - In fariness to Globe, the problem with my DSL was caused by my modem and phone cord. My modem was 5 years old. A Globe technician came over and replaced my modem. My DSL connection is ok now.